Neck pain is one of the top issues patients face after experiencing a traumatizing car accident or hurting their cervical spine during a workers’ compensation injury. With little support to help compensate for movement, the weight of our heads lurching suddenly can easily cause an injury. Force and gravity can cause compression on our neck vertebrae, which later leads to muscular and nerve pain symptoms.
To avoid future mobility issues and generally strengthen the limited tissues and musculoskeletal structures in our necks, it’s important to take care of our spines through proper treatment and care. Whether you need medication or you find physical therapy beneficial, many others have also incorporated the use of an inversion table to relieve and prevent neck pain. Speak with your New York pain doctor today about the types of inversion equipment that is available and if you are a good candidate for this treatment option.
Vertebral compression is a common reason people experience discomfort and pain in their neck. This pressure can pinch spinal nerves and inflame soft tissues and muscles, which causes tightness and difficulty in movement. Inversion tables offer an alternative method to relieve the originating cause of these symptoms by using gravity to help loosen and reduce any built-up stressors in the spine.
Our spines have vertebrae bones and soft gel-like discs in-between, which helps us to stay upright and walk. Inversion therapy helps to temporarily increase this space to encourage blood flow, stretch stiff muscles, and give your spine a break from the wear and tear of daily activities. It also fosters healing if you are in the rehabilitative phase of your care after a major auto accident or workers comp injury.
As mentioned earlier, decompression of the spine by way of an inversion table is a terrific alternative method to help relieve neck pain and other spinal conditions that respond well to physical rehabilitation and exercise. Specifically, using these types of medical devices can benefit you in numerous ways, including:
● Stress and tension relief
● Realign your cervical vertebrae
● Improvement of posture
● Reduce the amount of compression in your neck’s vertebrae
● Assists in curbing pain in other parts of your spine
● Strengthen support muscles and ligaments in your neck
● Increase the range of motion and flexibility of your body
● Spinal discs will rehydrate and increase needed cushioning effect
● Encourages your entire spine to begin realignment naturally
Inversion therapy users who suffer from workers comp related injuries, or have experienced a serious car accident, report feeling less pain and discomfort after use. For some, this has enabled them to no longer need major pain medications and have even more neck pain relief than ever before.
At first, it is important to go slow when initially using an inversion table. Speak with your New York whiplash injury doctor about how long you should remain inverted, proper angle to use, and warning signs to look for if it isn’t safe for your condition. You risk aggravating already painful symptoms if you do not use this medical equipment properly.
Some general tips for beginning users include:
● Talk with your New York neck injury doctor about the best routine for treating your neck pain with an inversion table
● Start off gradually and increase your usage and angle over time
● 2 to 3 times a day at a 60-degree angle or more is an ideal goal to reach
● Perform gentle stretching while inverted to help loosen and relax the tension on muscles
● Pay attention to your body and don’t overdo it if you feel a lot of pain
It is critical to always listen to your body and how you feel when using these types of equipment. Normal feelings of pressure in the skull and the eyes is normal, but avoid letting yourself get dizzy. If you suffer from medical conditions like diabetes or glaucoma, this may not be an ideal treatment regimen to use.
Copyright © Injured Call Today. NY / NJ Pain & Injury Clinics. All Rights Reserved.